• Felotalk: 47 Days and 47 Nights

    Monday, March 02, 2009

    47 Days and 47 Nights

    My good friend Kathy, a fellow blogger asked, "Are you observing Lent this year?" on her February 25th post. Well, for those who didn't know already, I am! This year my friends Robert, Raquel and I decided to give up red meat and all alcohol for Lent. I for one am not someone who drinks in excess, but I normally can not live without a glass of red wine for more than a day. I also enjoy a nice cold beer when it is warm, which is quite frequently (even in winter) if you live in Los Angeles. As for red meat, I do not eat it everyday, but I thought I could one up most Catholics who only give it up on Fridays!

    Well you can imagine my shock when I discovered this weekend that Lent is actually 47 days long and not 40. All my life, I had always believed that Lent was 40 days and 40 nights. Since we started our observance, my friends and I had been doing a countdown, counting backwards from 40 days. Looking at a calendar, the three of us thought Easter Sunday would be on April 5th (40 days counting from February 25), but we soon learned that it won't be until the 12th of that month. We were perplexed. I brought the subject up in the lunch room today with my colleagues who are also observing Lent and giving up something or other. Beth is giving up coffee (yikes!). Maggie is giving up sweets. Carolina is giving up all carbonated sodas. Beth then said: Lent is 40 days and 40 nights, but you don't count Sundays!

    What a realization, I thought, but it just sounded dumb to me. I know Sunday is a holy day, but really! Does this mean one can cheat on Sundays? Don't worry, yours truly will not! I just think those who are in observance should be given credit for the 47 days of practicing their will power.

    O.K. With my new knowledge now, as of today: 6 days down, and 41 days to go...

    5 Comments:

    At 5:22 AM , Blogger lucy4 said...

    For Lent, I am giving up alcohol, my period, and my girlish figure. Oh yeah, I'm pregnant so that won't be so hard. Though I am doing it for 9 months instead of 40 days. Also, I think if you cook the meat well, it won't be red anymore. And what if you go to church and chug the wine? I think that would be okay.

     
    At 9:10 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Girl, you are funny!!! Of course 47days (not 40) is nothing compared to 9 months! Wow.

    I also forgot to mention that I have given up smoking! While I am not a hardcore smoker, I do enjoy a drag once in a while when I drink and when it is cold...

     
    At 1:50 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I never heard about Sundays not counting. Never. I've given up alcohol and coffee in the past. I even gave up being Catholic.

    I am getting a dispensation of course for my birthday weekend. I'm renting a house with a group of people and going wine tasting. I need bread and cake to top things off that weeken.

     
    At 5:04 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    doesn't the notion of a dispensation defeat the notion of sacrificing? Just asking, thought technically a Catholic, I am not a practicing one. I figure I've had enough suffering of late.

     
    At 3:49 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    No, I am not observing Lent. I gave up a lot of things for good 10 years ago. I will sometimes fast for things such as for someone who is studying the Bible & I am praying and fasting for them to be baptized. Oh, and I gave up alcohol for good again. Even the one glass.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home