• Felotalk: Tales From the City (Griffith Park)

    Thursday, May 10, 2007

    Tales From the City (Griffith Park)


    This was taken on the day of the fire from my house in Echo Park at 3 p.m.



    This was taken the same day at 8:15 p.m.


    The fire in Griffith Park that started two days ago was quite scary and saddening. I have the fondest memories of outings in that park from my childhood. I recall the many family picnics and barbecues my sisters and I experienced there growig up. I remember the visits to the zoo and the L.A. Observatory we used to take with our mom and other relatives. Last year, some twenty-plus years later, I frequented Griffth Park at least half a dozen times with my now adult sisters and the new additions to our family --my niece and my nephew. We enjoyed the children's train ride, watch Victoria go on the pony rides, and rode the historic merry-go-round (which my friend Julio runs) many times. We also had new picnics, and revisited the zoo to see the little ones marvel at the animals.

    There are so many more memories from my 27 years as an Angeleno: Hikes, birthday parties and barbecues, drives, playing Hide-n-Seek in Travel Town and in the old zoo, bike riding, getting drunk and high with friends as a teenager in the park, concerts at the Greek and the Gene Autry Museum. Endless memories... Also the park is practically in the backyard of the Atwater Village school I teach in. I see the park's hillside everyday! As I write this, I hear that the fire is almost 100% extinguished. Let's hope that the city and its citizens can easily restore that 1/5 of the park that was destroyed.

    10 Comments:

    At 12:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Sorry to hear about the park. I remember the park, I was there many times during my visits in L.A. I hope the park will be renovated. We are waiting for the results of David's blood tests. Have a nice weekend!

     
    At 6:50 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    BTW, if the pictures seem a bit blurry, it's because they were takene from my phone.

     
    At 9:31 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I think Griffith park was the place where I got drunk the first time. I remember ditching school with Lopez and some girl whose name eludes me at the moment and we drank cans of Coors light and my head was buzzing and I remember thinking, "so this is what it's like to get drunk!" then I came home to take a bath to try and mask the smell

     
    At 9:33 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    BTW how come there's no link to my blog (journalismdude.blog.com) in your blogroll?

     
    At 2:32 AM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    Did we all partake of substance abuse at Griffith Park? Seems a waste of lovely space, no?

     
    At 12:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Happy Mother's day to your mom and your sisters!

     
    At 5:07 PM , Blogger lucy4 said...

    It's sad about Griffith Park. I had a sculpture class once and while we were working away, I mentioned going biking at Griffith Park and all these people who were all minorities contributed their stories about going to Griffith Park on the weekends to picnic, play soccer, and have bbq's. We realized that when we came over to the country, we all lived in crowded houses with other families and the park was the best way to really hang out away from other families. Free public places, gotta love them.

     
    At 11:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Griffith Park is such a lovely Park. I miss it! It's sad to see how much of it was destroyed.

     
    At 8:36 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    Elias, Pac'a and I love that park. It's the reason I started Pac'a on tick treatment. It's that good with its venues for high heels as well as hiking shoes.

     
    At 8:37 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    oh yeah, what's up with David's blood tests?

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home