• Felotalk: Adventures in Babysitting

    Thursday, July 07, 2005

    Adventures in Babysitting

    I am over at my mother's today to look after my niece Victoria for a couple of hours while my mom goes to a doctor's appointment. As always I am enjoying the experience. Vic took a nice long nap and awoke after an hour in the jolliest, most affectionate mood. She gestured me toward her glasses and shoes and I put them on her, after checking her diaper. Thank goodness she did not need any changing, though I was prepared to do the job. After giving her her juice, which she requested by saying, "joosh," she had me follow her to my mom's living room and handed me the remote control which she found on the coffee table. I said to her: "T.V.? Do you want the t.v. on?" I turned it on and like clockwork, the Teletubbies was about to start. Watching this show was like a religious experience for us both. I have never enjoyed it so much. And I am pretty sure this was my first time ever watching it with a child. Vic was enthralled! I was too! But I'm not sure if I was more enthralled by the show or my niece...

    7 Comments:

    At 12:29 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    I'm not sure I like the Teletubbies. It's a little weird but I'm sure the visuals are great for a child. Victoria is lucky to have an uncle who shares common interests with her.

     
    At 4:35 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I guess the real question is whether Victoria is being negatively affected by watching the show. I'm not talking about any of that right-wing paranoid homophobic crap from a few years back, but if Laa-Laa suddenly goes berserk and bops another ttubby on the noggin, will your niece be adversely affected by being exposed to violence at a developmental age? hmmm...

     
    At 9:15 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I love nieces to pieces!

     
    At 11:38 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I love nieces to pieces, too, Ms. Kathy. Mr. Hostility: Call me an idealist, but I think toddlers only see and immitate the good, beautiful and positive. Even if one of the Teletubbies goes berserk, they do it in such a colorful, funny way... It won't affect Victoria one bit. Ms. Spleengrrrl, I share common intersts with you as well. Like music, food, gossip...

     
    At 8:25 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    stop calling me Mr. hostility or I'll send my vampire henchmen to track you down and drain your blood. (although that did sound a lil hostile...)

     
    At 8:28 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
    At 8:29 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    BTW I was just kidding about the link to TV violence. Don't want anyone to think I actually buy into their crazy theories. I don't really think there is any correlation between the two. I played tons of Doom when I was younger and watched TV and turned out OK, or a at least didn't turn into a psycho.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home