• Felotalk: The Neighborhood

    Friday, July 15, 2005

    The Neighborhood

    I have not posted anything recently as I have been busy working, going out, watching movies, cleaning, babysitting and visiting a good friend in the hospital. I found myself sitting in front of the computer a few times, trying to jot something down but felt uninspired, I want to say: not passionate about anything, but that would be a complete lie. Anyway, here's what's up in my head...

    The Lotus Festival was much fun last weekend. As usual, I got together with several friends to enjoy the festival, eat good food, buy plants, people-watch and enjoy the fireworks display. I then headed to a friend's house near the park for drinks and wound up at a bar in the neighborhood I don't really enjoy but where friends were going.

    It is interesting to see how Echo Park has changed so much. I have been calling this lovely neighborhood my home for the almost 10 years and it is clearly evident that there have been several changes happening. Some good, some not so good.
    First, I must say, that I enjoy seeing people walking around the neighborhood all the time, and at various hours of the day. I enjoy seeing cyclists everywhere. I love going to Sea Level Records, which is walking distance from my house. I love that I have my options of coffee shops, walking distance. I love most of the new shops popping all over the place. I love that I have so many different friends, within walking/cycling distance in all directions from my house. Back in 1996, when I first moved to my house above the intersection of Glendale/Berkeley/Alvarado, almost everyone I knew lived in Silverlake, Highland Park or Hollywood.
    What I do not like about the changes in the neighborhood is all the elitist, classist insensitivity I see everywhere.
    I hate all the SUVs I see everywhere. There are people driving Hummers and Mercedes, BMW SUVs in our narrow streets. I hate all the fast, impatient drivers everywhere.
    I am also not fond of new residents of the neighborhood who "love" the area so much, but are constantly complaining of how "ghetto" it is. As an immigrant and "person of color" who grew up in the city and not some suburb or hippy commune I am offended by such talk. These people seem to forget the real reason they moved to these neck of the woods in the first place: cheap rent! (Although rent here is no longer as cheap as it used to be). I am saddened that many of the neighborhood's newer residents are not able to appreciate its diversity, funkiness and its eccentricity. I love having a panaderia, next to a thrift store, next to a botanica, next to an indie rock record store! If everything were clean-cut and homogenous around here, this would not be the vivrant neighborhood that Echo Park is today. And I must say, I do feel afraid of some of the changes I see. Everytime I see an old mom & pop shop close down, I fear for what will eventually oppen there. "Not another over-priced boutique, not another hipster bar." But I admit that I enjoy the new restaurants and cafes.
    There is no real resolution to what I make of all these changes. I simply want people to be more tolerant and sensitive. People to care more about the neighborhood and its history, not just its romanticized early Hollywood history, but its recent history. For the last 40 years or so this has been a lower-income neighborhood. We can't just sweep or push people aside. I don't know what else to say. Love thy neighbor, maybe???

    9 Comments:

    At 12:16 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    "Love thy neighbor"? Sounds suspiciously like the rantings of a right-wing lunatic. Go thump the Bible elsewhere.

     
    At 12:26 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    No, Spleengrrl, just the words of a mna who loves his 'hood and people, and hates ignorance.
    Peace...

     
    At 3:46 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I missed going to the Lotus show last weekend, I knew it was in mid july but didn't know it was last weekend. I don't think living in the 'burbs is as bad as people make it out to be. I don't miss the decreased traffic (although granted I haven't been driving all my life) and I like the fact that when I walk to 7-Eleven to buy a Coke my neighboors all say "good morning" or "good afternoon" to me, even though they don't really know me.

     
    At 11:56 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Pjur, whoever you are, the people wh opened the coffee shops are not the SUV owners. It is after the more creative, funky, artisitic folks moved here, that the SUV drivers followed. I agree with you. I love that I can walk at night also. This is great!

     
    At 1:01 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I agree with you Lucy, but "ghetto ass" uninsured, often unliscenced, people are sadly to be expected in urban (one time poor) areas of the city.
    BTW, I adore your blog. You are soooo funny! ;-)

     
    At 3:49 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    1. I never called our 'hood the burbs.
    2. I understand and agree that all nighborhoods, urban and suburban, go through changes and evolutions.
    3. Like in all of America's big cities, there have been wonderful (perhaps once neglected) neighborhoods with character that have been embraced by "creative, funky, artistic, queer" folks who settle in these communities and do their best to co-exist with their neighbors and contribute wonderful things like Akbar, for example. ;-) My beef is, actually, with those who looks down to and who turns their nose on anyone who does not fit the hipster mold. And that may not necessarily be your Latino or Asian neighbor with 5 kids, or the cholo around the corner, but could also be the eccentric, reclusive lady with red hair, and the filthy-looking lawn who lives down the street. (I know two of these on my block). My beef is with those who want everything to be cookie-cutter clean, for those who constantly complain about "ghetto this" or ghetto that." I feel like saying: "Honey, we're not in Simi Valley or Idaho!!!"
    I have to go pick herbs from my garden to make dinner, so excuse me, Pjur.
    -RV3-
    p.s. Peace...

     
    At 11:02 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    Dear RV, I am so totally in agreement with you. Hip haircuts from Rudy's doesn't make the SUV driving elitests cool enough for me. They're happy to move in and jack up rents and displace working class families who have to move to shacks in Idaho ... . Don't get me started.

    BTW, some of my cherry tomatoes came in today. Tasty but tough skin. Any advice?

     
    At 7:08 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I hate SUVs they are a blight on the road and are so hard to look around, etc. I saw a report on 20/20 or one such show which actually documented accidents and they stated cars are so much safer because they can manouever and negotiate turns better. Families think they are safer because they feel safer driving higher up, but I heard they are very dangerous and they roll over more than cars.

     
    At 1:27 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    People are people so why should it be you and I get along so awfully? I say Hipsters: Stop being elitists. Cholos: start aiming at kids so maybe you actually shoot each other for once. Pimps and hos: Don't drive w/o insurance and then crash into Lucy. SUV drivers: think about the future and the safety of others for once and not how you can do the "in" thing and look good. People with herb gardens: Invite me to dinner and make me something fresh.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home