• Felotalk: Movies, Music, Books, T.V.

    Thursday, September 13, 2007

    Movies, Music, Books, T.V.

    Last movie I watched:
    2 Days in Paris . I absolutely loved this film. Julie Delpy serves as writer, director, and star in this lovely hilarious movie abouth a French-born New Yorker who takes her American boyfriend (Adam Goldberg) with her to visit the city she was born and raised in.

    Last c.d I bought:

    Rio Baile Funk: More Favela Booty Beats
    This year I really got into baile funk, which is a type of dance craze that originated in the Rio de Janeiro favelas. Some well-known artists, whose music is considered Baile Funk, include Bonde do Role, M.I.A., Diplo, and Tetine among others. The above-mentioned compilation is a collection of music by more low-profile artists of this genre, and like its title suggests, the disc is a real booty-shaker, perfect for a party.

    What I am reading:
    James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
    This summer I read D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover and Women in Love. After finishing both books, which I absolutely loved, I decided I wanted to read other works by Lawrence's contemporaries. That is how I came to choose this book by Joyce, which so far I am enjoying.

    T.V. land:
    I still don't have cable, nor do I want it. I am simply eagerly awaiting the fall season premieres of some of my old favorite shows. I guess most of them have their premiers airing in the coming weeks. Other than that, I am really into a Brazilian soap set in colonial times called La Esclava Isaura. I love this show! It is beatifully shot, written, and acted. The Brazilians are the best at producing telenovelas. Other telenovelas from Mexico, Venenzuela, Colombia, and Miami all seem like camp. The Brazilians, however, are staging good drama. Thank you Telemundo for bringing them to my home!

    6 Comments:

    At 5:18 PM , Blogger lucy4 said...

    Portrait of the Artist I read in high school and liked it while I was reading it yet felt it was disappointing at the end. His other works of staggering genius is also too esoteric for me. Why can't all his works be short and concise like The Dubliners?!

     
    At 11:06 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    La Esclava Isaura is old! I remember that show in the 80s....and as for Portrait of a Young Man- that freaking depressed me in high school. Ha ha...I just read Lucy's comment. Well, we were in the same class so we read it at the same time! Darn you, Mr. Pursley!

     
    At 9:29 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    My stupid 12th grade English teacher didn't introduce us to Joyce. Instead she made us read Aldous Huxley, Eli Weisel, and Dostoevsky.
    This new version of La Esclava Isaura is a remake... And a good one at that.

     
    At 5:26 PM , Blogger lucy4 said...

    I like Dostoevsky. I've read Huxley and recently I read Weisel because Oprah told me to but they did not really do it for me either. Nowadays with work and all, I find it hard to read things too deep so you must be a real go-gether to read Joyce on your spare time. Oh yeah, this Thursday is the day I will find out if it's a boy or girl. Then I will update my blog.

     
    At 9:19 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    comic books have spoiled me on "real" books.
    A good graphic novel has as much detail and intrigue as a novel, though it is a different medium. Occasionally I will pick up a book. Currently I am reading "The Innocent Mage" by Karen Miller

     
    At 7:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    We are back, we came back yesterday. We had wonderful time in Tunisia and David enjoyed the vacations, he didn't have any problems, he adjusted so well on the airplane and there, too. I know the soap opera La Esclava Isaura, this was the first soap opera showed on our tv, I watched it.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home