• Felotalk: June So Far

    Tuesday, June 10, 2008

    June So Far

    1. We haven't had much June Gloom yet. Hooray!!!

    2. I got a nasty stye in my lower right eyelid. I've had it since Friday, and it is finally coming down. I have been doing the whole warm compresses thing....

    3. Happy Birthday Mami Sara!!! That is what my niece and nephew call my mother. Yesterday she turned 60 years old!

    4. My wonderful neighbors Janet and Terry are moving this weekend. Their move is bittersweet as I will miss having them right next to me, but they found a place four blocks away!

    5. The last day of school for my students and I is fast approaching. Their last day is the 19th, mine will be the 20th.

    6. Even if the Lakers don't win tonight (again, against the mighty, solid Celtics) I am excited that they made it this far. For the first time in a decade or so I have been experiencing Laker fever. They have a really good team this year.

    7. I am happy that I have recently booked two trips for the summer. I will be going to the Yucatan in early August, and will travelling to Hawaii in late August. I am also glad that I did get a summer school position. The extra cash will come in handy...

    8. I love love love the new Portishead album, Third. It's been at the top of my play list for the last month. It's brilliant!!!

    9. Everything on television since the T.V. season ended sucks. I have been reduced to watching The Bachelorette and So You Think You Can Dance. One thing I have been enjoying is watching the first season of 30 Rock on D.V.D. Thank you Netflix!

    10. I have yet to see the Sex in the City movie. And this upsets me. I was never a fan of the show when it was originally on. I found the characters to be too shallow, whiny and more like self-indulgent gay men (many of the creators, etc. actually were...) But after the show went off the air, and through the persuasion and high recommendation of friends, I began to watch the show on D.V.D. and in syndication. I then found that the show was actually well-written, touching, and often quite poignant. And it sounds so trite to say it, but I found shared aspects between (in my order of most favorite to least) Charlotte, Miranda, Samantha, and Carrie, and many of my girlfriends, a few male friends, and (gasp) even myself. Anyway, will someone go see the film with me... (Not you Ariel!)
    ;-)

    8 Comments:

    At 5:00 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I could never get into Sex in the City, the show always seems to annoy me, not so much because its a chick show focusing on the central characters but because they were always concerned with material things and drinking martinis and such, although I think Charlotte is the hottest of all of them.

    Glad you acknowledge the Laker's inferiority against Boston, though they played soft in the fourth quarter of the last game hopefully they will correct this and win game four.

    I wish I could get away for the summer as well but I have gas, car payments and insurance payments to make now. The price of driving in L.A.

     
    At 5:03 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    P.S. Wendy wanted me to buy the new Portishead album bc I was doing a review of a new disc for the newspaper. I ended up buying the new Cyndi Lauper disc instead on Itunes. With the exception of a few tunes, it's not very good IMHO.

     
    At 5:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's been around 95 degrees and humid over here everyday. I'd love some June gloom.
    The Portishead cd is pretty amazing.
    Go Lakers!

     
    At 7:11 AM , Blogger lucy4 said...

    The school year ended here in May so I've been out for two weeks. I turned my resignation in at the end of the year to be a SAHM but since I'm a teacher, I can't tell the difference in being unemployed and being on vacation. It's great you get to go on two great trips. We've been looking all over for low airfare to go to Vegas and have relatives on my side see the baby (you know how much Asians love to gamble) and Lexington, KY (you know how Kentuckians love their cousins). I kid, I kid.

     
    At 11:01 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Lucy, you crack me up!!! I do know those Kentuckians... There is a slight chance that I'll be going to Austin, to help a friend who is moving there. If I do, I will call you up.

    Ariel, you like twisting words around. I din't say the Lakers were inferior. Even though, as I write this, they have lost two games. They have played mostly well against the Celtics. Each of their losses were really close races.
    As for your car/gas woes, I don't really see you as an L.A. driver. You are more of a suburban driver. The cool thing about living in the city is the proximity to most central places. I feel for you...

     
    At 11:53 AM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    If I go see the movie it'll be with my mom (sorry) 'cause she's dying to go and hasn't been to the movies in over 20 years!

     
    At 11:31 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Well I may not drive around LA proper that much but I do drive in LA county. The suburbs arent just residential zones, if you go to Fullerton, even downtonw Pomona you will find cultural centers, shopping, movies, arthouses and plenty of fun things to do (if you have the money) Not as diverse as Hollywood or Santa Monica maybe, but plenty more to do than you think is out here. You really should come down one day and I will drive you around to some fun places.

     
    At 12:15 PM , Blogger Sunlight In The Rain said...

    let me say this once: sex and the city isn't about materialism. it's about companionship.

    i think some of them are passionate about clothes... just like how some guys are way into sports and buy baseball cards, jerseys, expensive season tickets. or how some guys are really into their cars and buy... umm, rims and things.

    one thing that the satc crew always say is that it is written primarily by women with several gay guys such as the creator.

    i love sex and the city because they talk openly to their friends about their problems... some more than others, just like real life.

    so i hope that anyone who isn't suaded to watch it before, will now.

    :)

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home