• Felotalk: Birth School Work Death

    Friday, July 22, 2005

    Birth School Work Death

    Birth
    I've been thinking about life and our purpose on Earth lately. Since becoming an uncle almost two years ago, I've been reminded that the world does not revolve around me. While I consider myself, for the most part, to being genuinely caring, giving and thoughtful, I must admit to myself that most of my life I have been a pretty self-centered person. Perhaps this is a result from belonging to a specific generation, or it is just something we all go through when we are young, figuring out our lives and pursuing happiness, status and dreams. Now I have my other sister expecting a child soon (she is due in late October) and I realize that the family tree continues, another branch is blossoming. Wow!
    School/Work
    I've been on summer break from work for the last three weeks. I continue to go out to the beach about twice a week. I read a lot. I have been visiting my mom, sisters and niece more often. I've been taking long walks in the park. Continue to get together around twice a week with different friends to cook together (hi Serene)! And I have been working at my friend's store in Echo Park, since he's been busy with unexpected business. Once the school season starts I may or may not be going back to school at night. I think I am in the right frame of mind at the moment to hit the academic books once again. We'll see.
    Death
    In the last nine months I have had four different dear friends lose a parent. I love my mother and although my relationship with my dad is a bit strained, I can not imagine losing my parents at this moment in time. My father has kinda reentered my life since my niece's birth... But the loss of my friends' parents reminds me again of life and our place in the world and about the fact that we are all living on borrowed time. I also have a good friend (just a year younger than me) in the hospital, who was recently diagnosed with HIV. And know of two other people, both under 40, battling cancer. This seems a bit overwhelming but it is happening around me.
    Over lunch with my friends Senisa and Iris, we talked about this. Both only have one parent living. One is a mother of two. What do we want to accomplish in our lifetimes? What examples do we set for our children and/or the next generation? What legacies do we wish to leave behind? When did we realized the world did not revolve around us? These were our questions and I am still evaluating my possible answers...

    4 Comments:

    At 2:50 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    These are the sort of tough questions I began asking myself when I was in my early twenties and by the time I was 25 I felt I had found answers. Unfortunately, I revert to the old way of thinking (and being selfish and concerned with stupid temporary things) and that is my constant battle, day in and day out. But you know you can talk to me about it!

     
    At 3:05 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I have never not asked myself these questions, actually. However, now that I see my peers having children and my peers losing parents, I find myself really putting it all in perpective and truly growing up.
    BTW, we all continue to have our little, selfish, (temporary) preoccupations, but you, Ms. Spleengrrl, are one of the most mature souls I know... And I know I can always talk to you.

     
    At 6:55 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    You guys will make me puke on myself STOP it!

     
    At 1:10 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Hostile 17, You really are earning your name with such comments...

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home