• Felotalk: Where are the Lotuses?

    Tuesday, June 24, 2008

    Where are the Lotuses?


    I am saddened by the fact that the lotuses in the Echo Park lake have yet to make an appearance this year. Normally this is the time when they are in bloom, and blossoming. That's why the Lotus Festival for decades now has always been held on the second weekend of July. Usually a few weeks after the festival the Lotuses start to slowly die, disappearing by September. In 2006 and 2007 there were only a tiny fraction of lotuses around. And due to strange weather, the lotuses didn't reach their full growth until mid or late August. This year it scares me that there aren't any visible buds on the bed. What is going on? Is this due to climate change? Is the lotus bed diseased? Is there anyone there trying to study this to see what is going on?

    (The above photo was taken from an LA Times blog)

    8 Comments:

    At 6:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I remember the Lotus festival and how much fun I had hanging out with you there. There is an opening on Thai masagge center near Ljubljana on July 6. My friend Nok has driving licence but no car so she invited us to come with her to the opening, she knows how much we love thai food!

     
    At 11:45 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I love Thai massages!!!

     
    At 7:55 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    maybe it's like the bees disappearing, a natural phenomenon that isn't easily explained. That's also what that movie "The Happening" was based on. Strange phenomenons, not the disappearing lotuses

     
    At 10:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    If you come to Slovenia to visit me my friend Nok is Thai massage therapist! I love Thai massages, too and Thai food! I wear Ella Moss pink top today - still the same colour and the same fit! I asked my dad to give me my mom's jewellery he still has and he said he will prepair it for me. I love wearing her jewels, my dad had taste when it comes to buying jewellery!

     
    At 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It seems as if the lotuses disappeared or someone pruned them carelessly. The Lotus festival will not be the same if the flowers don't make an appearance.

     
    At 9:55 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    That's a darn shame!

     
    At 6:22 AM , Blogger lucy4 said...

    Lotuses are know for growing out of really gross water yet the flowers rise above it and don't touch the dirty water. So maybe the water in the lake is too clean? Heh.

     
    At 7:22 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    OMG!!!

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home