• Felotalk: The Lotus-less Festival 2008

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008

    The Lotus-less Festival 2008



    Let's go on with the show, Ethyl Merman once sang. And so the show went on down at the Echo Park Lake. The Lotus Festival was a well-attended success once again, despite the disappearance of the famous flowers. The L.A. Times finally wrote about it a couple of weeks ago... In the story they did not mention something that my friends Oscar and Jerry shared with me recently. Last year, as they were going about their usual morning walk around the park, they noticed some city workers "cleaning" the lake. They seemed to be pulling the dead lotuses found in the area of the lake that sheltered the flowers from the root, they said. "They seemed not to know what they were doing," my friend Oscar said. Could this have been the cause of the lake's lotuses' demise? We'll never know perhaps...

    Despite the loss, I must say that it was still inspiring to see Angelenos enjoying the festival this past weekend. The concession stands were as fun and interesting as always. The performers were entertaining. The food court was divine. And the fire works were better than ever.



    Let's hope the city fixes the situation with the lotuses. Maybe they can plant some new ones? As fun as the festival was this year, it just wasn't the same without the presence of the majestic flowers.

    6 Comments:

    At 8:18 PM , Blogger lucy4 said...

    The fireworks are one of my favorite things about the festival. They look like they are exploding over your head. The food was usually good too. Did they have that old Asian comic? He grows on you.

     
    At 8:39 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I didn't see the comic....
    This year the fireworks were better than ever.

     
    At 1:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks for posting pics from Lotus festival. I remember how much fun we had when you took me to the Lotus festival. Cross fingers that I will get a translation job for Softitler - if I get it I will translate subtitles for movies. I did the test today and now I am waiting if I pass it. Michael wrote to me that he has never collaborated with this company but he knows they are good.

     
    At 8:47 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    That's horrible about the uprooting of the flowers. But good thing the festival went on as scheduled.

     
    At 4:44 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    so the disappearance of the flowers is still a mystery? Good article.

     
    At 11:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I finally saw SATC movie last night. I love it and I love all the clothes!!!!Max's sister took care of David for a few hours so Max and I went to the movies.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home