• Felotalk: Oh Yeah...

    Tuesday, July 26, 2005

    Oh Yeah...

    I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed going to the Basquiat opening at the Museum of Contemporary Art two weekends ago with Wendy. I have never seen such an enthusiastic, huge crowd for an opening at MOCA before. Although large crowds like this sometimes make it difficult to view the art, Wendy and I had no trouble appreciating and seeing all the pieces. Wendy and I truly enjoyed Basquiat's work. I have to admit, before watching the 1996 bio-pic on his life, Basquiat, directed by Julian Schnabel, I knew very little about his life. I also wasn't too thrilled about his art before. However, experiencing his art and standing right before it was truly moving and exciting to me. His work is not as simple as it may appear to someone seeing it in a book. He seemed to be channeling Matisse and Picasso through his work, and Wendy saw influences from children's art, comic books/graphic novels and encyclopedias. Much of his work also seemed to be speaking about injustices, poverty, racism and globalization (this was in the '80s, when he was working!)
    The opening party was d.j.-ed by legendary rapper Grandmaster Flash, who put on an amazing set and had the entire crowd dancing. It was also great running into so many people I know at the show and participating in people-watching. It was quite the fun fashion show, of course...

    5 Comments:

    At 3:49 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    Was "Obnoxious Liberals" your favorite painting too?

     
    At 9:47 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I'm so envious.

     
    At 8:27 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    "Obnoxious Liberals" was a good one. I can't say which painting I loved the most. However, I was particularly more fond of the ones dealing with the themes of heroes and social injustice.

     
    At 11:58 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
    At 12:44 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    The show will be up until Oct. 10

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home