• Felotalk: Catching Up

    Saturday, September 03, 2005

    Catching Up

    I have been trying to finish a few last items before going back to work. The first day back for the kids is on September 6 (the day after Labor Day), but I went in to work this past Wednesday. It is always good to see certain people after a long absence or time apart. There were a few peers whom I had planned to see or get together with over the summer break but I never found a chance to meet with them. It is funny how time flies. It is such a cliche to talk about it, but I always do. I'm glad to be be working again...

    The Sunset Junction Street Fair was last weekend, and for the first time in years I didn't really feel like going. I think my very first Junction festival was back in 1991. I have missed it only twice. One year, I think I was in Ecuador, the other year I was in Spain. I hate that there is a $10 cover now. It used to be free or 1 or 2 dollars for the longest time. I know it is only a donation and that the reason the fest costs so much now is because of all the big name bands and artists that they are bringing in, but I would normally attend regardless of who is performing. For me, in the past at least, the real draw was the crowds, the people-watching, carnival food, beer stands, carnival rides, and above all--celebrating the neighborhoods' funky diversity. Many don't know or are aware that The Sunset Junction Festival was born out of the community's effort to unite and engage all of the neighborhood's people. Particularly the Queer and the Latino communities. Kind of like a meet and embrace your neighbors party. And little by little I see this diversity less and less appreciated.
    So I skipped the Junction that Saturday and instead hung out with family the eintire day. My mother's cousin who was visiting from NYC, made a pork roast, which she served with this yummy homminy and cilantro salad, rice and another cucumber-totomato-avocado salad. Yummy!!! Afterwards, Karina and I drove to Monica's house in Montrose. The three Velasquez-Villavicencio siblings went shopping and pampered little Victoria, who is today 22 months old. Karina by the way is 7 months pregnant now and due in late October. Victoria's favorite words now are: "no" and "Toto" which is her variation on Tio (uncle). She also knows the names of all the the Sesame Street characters, but is particularly fond of Elmo and Oscar.
    I went to the Junction on Sunday evening. I hung out for about two hours before getting bored. I did manage to run into a few friends...which is always nice. Next year, I will try to schedule a trip around that time...

    Shout out to all the Virgos in the house (none of whom probably don't read this): Micca, Dominique, Jill, Suzi, Sergio, Brendan, Henry, my neighbor...et moi. We a re a difficult, troubled breed. I realized recently I could never go out with another "virgin." We'd end up killing one another! I tried it once in the early '90s. It was bad.
    Anyway, time to sign off. Ciao...

    4 Comments:

    At 1:59 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    A gay man missed a lot during girls gone wild at Sunset Junction.
    Am I missing something??

     
    At 7:07 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I missed running into Lucy...that's a bummer.
    I ate a polish sausage dog. Yumm... With lotsa saurkraut (sp.?) and oninons.

     
    At 6:07 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    How could there have been a girls gone wild atmosphere when I wasn't even near the place?

     
    At 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Rafi, Tom Pendergast from up in SF saying hello. Sunset Junction, yes I remember that. Would have been nice to see wymyn be loud and obnoxious for a change. I know I'm very late on checking out your site. Sorry. Been too busy for my own good. Went to Burning Man a little more than a month ago. Such fun. Am still processing photos from that but I'll let you know when I put them up on my website. Coming up north soon? If so, say hello. Always good to see you mi amigo!

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home