• Felotalk: Lately...

    Tuesday, September 13, 2005

    Lately...


    I really love the new Kanye West c.d. My friend Dom gave it to me for my birthday and I have been playing it like crazy. On Sunday alone, I must have listened to it at least four times. Of course, I love "Gold Digger," which is played so much on the radio and is such an infectious, funny track. But other songs in the alum like 'We Major," "Celebration," and Chuy's favorite "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" are also brilliant tracks. I love West's themes of losers and drop-out and being poor and being carless or without gas. His debut album was called College Dropout. His current effort is called Late Registration. I guess, I can relate!

    Last Friday I went to the Hollywood Bowl with friends from work. It was my first visit to the bowl all summer. I normally tend to go at least twice in the summer. We saw Bebel Gilberto giving a sweet, soothing, sensual performance. And we saw Pink Martini doing their usual set. They started with Ravel's Bolero and ended their show with samba dancers... I think I will wait at least a year until I see them again. Perhaps I have seen them perform too many times. Their shows seem too familiar and unoriginal lately.

    Did you guys know that there is a cornfield right outside of Downtown L.A.? It is a few blocks east of Chinatown, just north of Olvera Street, off of Main Street, as if one were driving toward Lincoln Heights from Downtown. It was unbelieveable! It is some four blocks long. They were having a festival there on Sunday (many hippy-types were present). I had the most wonderful, calming time walking through it...

    6 Comments:

    At 10:27 AM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    The "Golddigger" song has been putting a smile on my face for quite a few mornings now, since it came out, but I'm not sure I'd run out and get the CD. Only because I'm too broke to buy music now. Sad, really....BUT THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE BLOG!!!

     
    At 3:27 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I'll burn the disc for you...

     
    At 3:28 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    are there crop circles in the cornfield?

     
    At 3:30 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    There's a circle, where one can sit and have a bon fire, but no crop circles. Nothing like in the movies. Check it out!
    p.s. I am, like, the only one we know who is getting spam comments?

     
    At 1:35 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Re: KanYe West C.D.

    A guy in our school newspaper just reviewed the C.D. I told him that I was thinking of buying it and he showed me a website where you can order it for $10 bucks. It's not my cup of tea, but i'd give it a try. One of the other guys asked him, why don't you just burn it for him? and he said he wanted to support the artist financially. Maybe when the paper comes out, I will send you a tear sheet. The review was actually decent, after some slight editing on my part.

     
    At 3:03 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Lucy: I will try to be more elite.
    Ariel: I want to read the review. I want to know what you think of the disc once you have it...

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home