• Felotalk: Laughing Out Loud

    Friday, September 16, 2005

    Laughing Out Loud

    I saw The Farrelly Bros.' Fever Pitch, starring Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon on d.v.d. the other day and absolutely loved this movie. The film had so much heart, the writing was sweet and the performances were wonderful. This is not a review of the film, but I am in awe at the moment because I do not remember the last time I enjoyed so many American romantic comedies in one year.
    Along with The 40-Year Old Virgin and The Wedding Crashers, Fever Pitch is ranking as one of my favorite films released this year thus far. Normally, I take in too many documentaries, independent and foreign films. I find them to be more rewarding, compelling and thought-provoking than the vapid big budget fare put out by Hollywood studios. But this year has been an exception.
    The 40-Year Old Virgin tops the list, however. I continue to laugh outloud when recalling certain scenes or lines from the film. ("You're gay because you like Coldplay...") And the film's music selection is absolutely perfect. I can't get that song from the '80s "Just Got Lucky" out of my head.

    12 Comments:

    At 4:00 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    I never go to the movies but that was one I really wanted to see, especially because of the cute Jimmy Fallon…

     
    At 5:31 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    romantic movies sicken me, no matter how good the dialogue is or how funny the jokes are, they just serve to remind me how I am not romantically involved right now, and probably wont be for a very long time, if ever again. Give me mindless violence, horror and sience fiction any day.

     
    At 11:28 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    H17, don't be so bitter in my forums please. :-(
    I personally am not a fan of romantic comedies either. I prefer more existential, realistic fare. But these three I wrote about are an exception...
    You should try watching some foreign movies too. I remember we used to watch quite a few together in the early '90s. I can recommend you a few which I promise will not be sickening nor sappy...

     
    At 11:42 AM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    I think romantic comedies are meant to be good date movies or something...although many protagonists in the chick lit books I read complain about Hollywood giving them a complex about ever finding true silver-screen worthy love. (Ironically, these books read like romantic comedies, of course.)

     
    At 12:42 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I don't think I'm bitter, I'm just telling you why I don't spend money or bother seeing these kinds of films.

     
    At 5:19 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I should have also said, regarding THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, that although ultimately it is essentially a love story, it is also so much more. It is a buddy picture. It is a "chic flick for dudes." It is a slapstick, ubsurdist comedy. A sex farce...
    And the hero gets the girl in the end.

     
    At 7:58 AM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I loved the wedding scene in the 40 year old virgin. I can understand some of the negative sentiments people have about romantic movies. It's cool when the romance gets mixed with violence. Like Spike and Buffy. OMG -- I can't wait for Serenity to come out.

     
    At 5:23 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Are you gonna go opening night Kathy?

     
    At 11:23 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    H-17, I sure hope so. My plan is to go on the 30th to see Serenity and then go to Vroman's the next day to see Neil Gaiman.

     
    At 10:37 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    He's one of the best, his "Sandman" comics and graphic novels are some of Vertigo/DC's most celebrated.

     
    At 7:43 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    H17, please explain MIRRORMASK. How did I never hear about this until now? Will it have wide-release? Can you post something on your site so RV doesn't hate on us.

    Thank you all for your patience.

     
    At 10:55 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I don't know much about it, except that at the wizard convention I went to in Long Beach they mentioned Jim Henson's muppets were involved. I think the company who made the muppets was involved with the film or something. Sorry, not sure if it's going wide, I know it was supposed to be out in 2004 but got pushed back, but that is all I know about it.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home