• Felotalk: The Year That Was 2005

    Monday, December 26, 2005

    The Year That Was 2005

    To quote Julie Andrews, these are a few of my favorite things...(this year)

    Music:
    I didn't buy nor download much new music this year as I have in the past. While I really loved the releases by The Arcade Fire, My Morning Jacket, Beck, and Brazilian Girls, among others, I only got to listen to their music at friends' houses and businesses or on the radio. Other favorite releases of mine this year were: M.I.A.'s "Arular, Kanye West's "Late Registration," " Fischerspooner's "Odyssey," Ladytron's "Witching Hour," Bebe's "Pafuera Telaranas," Nouvelle Vague's "Nouvelle Vague," Kate Bush's "Aeral," and I am shocked at my even mentioning the following two, but Mariah Carey and Madonna put fabulous c.d.s out, which rank among the best this year. Another favorite release of mine was Stereolab's 3-disc 1 d.v.d. compilation, "Oscillons From the Anti-Sun." It is a collection of songs, videos and t.v. appearances by the "groop" from the last 14 years. Despite the changes in background players over the years and the death of original member Mary Hanson, two years ago, Stereolab continues to be my favorite band.

    Film:
    I have not seen many of the big December releases yet. (I am planning on going to the movies tonight actually...) However, this year, for me at least, was a big year for foreign films (primarily French) and documentaries! Some of my favorite films include Lucrecia Martel's "The Holy Girl (Argentina), Sebastian Cordero's "Cronicas" (Ecuador), Oliver Hirschbiegel's "Downfall" (Germany), Wong Kar-Wai's "2046" (China). From France I loved: Arnaud Desplechin's "Kings and Queen," Agnes Jaoui's Look At Me," and especially Jacques Audiard's "The Beat That My Heart Skipped." The documentaries I loved include "Grizzly Man," "Murderball," and "Mad Hot Ballroom." I saw "March of the Pinguins" and found it cute, but did not love it. Sorry America!
    I must also add that not all of my favorite films were in other languages. I was deeply moved by Miranda July's "Me and You and Everyone We Know," and David Cronenberg's "A History of Violence" was a fantastic, scary thriller. Both well-acted and incredibly entertaining. Among the year's best.

    Television:
    I really got into "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" these last couple of months.

    Events in My Life:
    I loved becoming an uncle once again. I enjoyed my trips to Mammoth Lakes and Cabo San Lucas. It was wonderful seeing a pair of friends getting married. I totally got into cooking, eating, drinking wine and gardening, with the likes of Serene, Dominique, Oscar and Jerry. I also came close to losing a beloved friend this summer, whom has since made an incredible recovery. Another dear friend said good-bye to two beloved pets in one years, but welcomed a wonderful new one into her home in the Spring. Other favorite things this year: Springtime brunches, playing Gin Rummy, playing Scrabble, walks in Elysian Park, Campari and Soda, drinking champagne, dancing at Little Pedro's, bar hopping in Echo Park, reading the New Yorker and catching up with all the books I had piled at my bedside, going to the beach, bike riding, i-tunes, Happy Hour at The Edendale Grill, Nick and Stef's, El Conquistador, The Daily Grill, blogging (but not the wierd, uncalled-for responses)...

    I hope I get to write another entry before 2005 escapes us. Happy new year to all! I hope everyone gets what they want in 2006.

    8 Comments:

    At 6:05 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    Yes, Stereolab is the groop closest to my heart. But I do enjoy My Morning Jacket. As for the films you mentioned, I haven't seen a one. I'm just not a movie person you know.
    Sounds like you had a fun and full year. I'm glad. Hope 06 is just as good...but better.

     
    At 9:53 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Rafi, I'm going to write a comic book script and I am going to include in it an powerful adversary by the name of Pjur. Help me define his powers.

     
    At 10:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A great year indeed! I'd second the mention of My Morning Jacket's "Z", it was on my iPod as I walked to work today. Very good. Also Animal Collective and Sufjan Stevens and 50 Cent. In Film, I would add Sin City and The Land of the Dead. For TV, I'd mention Extras. Happy New Year!!

     
    At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What about surprise visits from out of town friends? It sounds like you had a nice year.

     
    At 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    pjur has common sense, which most people lack. pjur is not intimidated by anyone and cares very little about what others think or about their opinion. his world is his, he owns it and makes little room for those who disagree with him.

     
    At 6:12 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Spleengrrl and New Agent #8, thanks for staying on topic. Happy new year...

     
    At 7:39 AM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I liked hearing M.I.A. thanks to you and Serene. Kanye West's comments re our president was off the hook. Also, I'm glad Mariah is coming back. Poor thing. She's a great singer in spite of her nuttiness. But all in all, I found 2005 kind of sucky. But I'm no sour puss. k? I'm looking forward to a bunch of greatness in 2006.

     
    At 10:27 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I am looking forward to greatness in 2006 as well, K! Dapatoti, I need cable, man! I do love Franz Ferdinand, but I have not listened to their newest release yet...

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home