• Felotalk: My Dinners With Joanna

    Thursday, March 09, 2006

    My Dinners With Joanna

    I've been trying to get together more often with my friend Joanna Leiva. We have known each other for over 15 years and were once almost inseparable. She lives in Silverlake, just south of Sunset. In fact, we have the same zip code. She also works at a neighborhood legal office, some four blocks away from my house. You'd think we'd make time to see one another more often, but in the last couple of years, I have only seen her on three separate ocassions. And in the last five years, I have met with her only one additional time.
    After playing phone tag for a while, we decided last month to meet for dinner at Masa's, on Sunset and Lemoyne (where Carmelo's used to be). We had such a fun time. It was great trying to catch up with her and learning what we've both been up to with our lives. We both ordered salads and we shared a delicious plate of green mussels. We also shared Masa's bread pudding, which is quite delicious. That night, we decided we would start getting together once a month.
    Yesterday, in the early evening, we ate at La Autentica, a Mexican restaurant, also in Echo Park, at the corner of Sunset and Douglas. She ordered a burrito mojado in green sauce. And for some stupid reason, I ordered a hamburger, which was only as good as a hamburger gets in a Mexican restaurant. (I highly recommend anything served in their mole sauce and their chilaquiles.) We ate everything! We talked. We reminisced. We caught up on news on old friends. And had a great time once again. What I love about my friendship with Joanna is our understanding that although we do not see each other more often, we still hold special places in our heart for one another. We are still the same people. We will always be friends.
    We are planning another outing in the coming three weeks. I can't wait!

    4 Comments:

    At 9:15 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Rafi. You are such a good friend. I miss Joana too. We have the same birthday so she would always call or email me on my birthday. We should all try to make an effort to see each other more. I will always fondly remember hanging out with you, Joanna and Barbara during our younger days.

     
    At 10:03 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I miss those days too, H17. We need to plan an outing with her. I know she'd love to see you again.

     
    At 5:15 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

    Awwwwww, I feel special...I feel like a movie star... I made it into your blog!!! ::::blushing with excitement::::
    I love our dinners together also. I also love the fact that, like you said, we can get together and know that we are special in each other's heart. I am sure I did not say it quite as right as you did, but you know what I mean.

    I miss H17 also, and yes, we do share a b-day and should talk more often, darn it! Maybe we should try to figure out where Barbara can be found and we can all get together and reminisce about our youth...and me throwing plates at H17...aww, the good old days.

    Love ya Rafi!

     
    At 12:19 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Yes,
    it would be so cool to find out the whereabouts of Barbara. I always felt bad I lost touch with her. Joanna do you have a blog? or are you pretty much a private person who just lurks in Rafi's???

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home