• Felotalk: Random Selections & Housecleaning

    Friday, February 17, 2006

    Random Selections & Housecleaning

    Every once in a while, when I decide to do a little house cleaning, I like to pick out C.D.s from my shelves that I normally ignore, to listen to while I work. I usually tend to forget older C.D.s as I add newer ones to my collection. I also tend to forget about C.D.s which are not at eye level. Since I am a Virgo, I like to alphabetize my C.D.s. This means that I am more likely to play a disc by Air or Bjork in the higher shelves than a discs by Stevie Wonder or XTC in the lower shelves. Recently I did some chores around the house, and with my eyes closed, I chose random discs from every shelf. I picked the following discs out:
    "Happy End of the World" Pizzicato Five (1997)
    "Gideon Gaye" The High Llamas (1994)
    "O Corpo Sutil" Arto Lindsay (1996)
    "Encendedor" The Dambuilders (1994)
    "Turn On" Turn On (1997)

    With the exception of Arto Lindsay's record, I can honestly say that I had not listened to the other selections in at least 5 years.

    I started by listening to Pizzicato Five. I swept and mopped my floors to this one. "Happy End of the World" is not as fun as the Japanese duo's first effort, but it does have some memorable, danceable tracks such as "Arigato We Love You" and "Happy Ending."

    While I did laundry and Windexed my windows, I listened to The High Llamas and Turn On. The High Llamas are a Chicago-based indie band whose sound often reminded me of The Beach Boys. Their music is very dreamy and soothing. Lead singer, Sean O'Hagan was an original player with Stereolab and you will always find guest appearances by different members of this band on any High Llamas record. It was such a coincidence that I also randomly picked the Turn On disc. In 1997, Tim Gane, lead member of Stereolab, and Sean O'Hagan collaborated on a record called Turn On. It was a very atmospheric record, almost entirely instrumental. My favorite tracks in it, actually, are the ones with guest vocals by Laetitia Sadier, Stereolab's lead singer.

    While doing dishes and going through stacks of newspapers that I needed to read and recycle, I listened to Arto Lindsay's "O Corpo Sutil." I love this guy! Lindsay has been part of the New York music scene for more than 2 decades. An original member of DNA ("Tom's Diner" remix) and The Lounge Lizards, Lindsay started working with Latin artists, particularly Brazilian musicians, in the last few years. "O Corpo Sutil" has bossa nova-inspired songs in English and Portuguese, featuring featuring impressive guest artists such as Caetano Veloso and Ryuichi Sakamoto.

    The last disc I listened to was by The Dambuilders. I don't believe this band is still around but I was really into this Boston-based quartet in the earlier part of the '90s. To be honest, I didn't really get a chance to pay much attention to their disc when I got around to playing it. The phone rang, and I had to set the volume down...

    2 Comments:

    At 12:08 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Funny, I recently cleaned my space as well, it's not quite a bedroom, its more of a converted den in my house. I listened to the entire "Love at first Sting" cd by the Scorpions and rocked out to Slayer's "South of Heaven" with monstrous guitar riffs and thunderous drums. Songs like "South of Heaven" and "Behind the Crooked Cross" are some of my favorite thrash metal anthems.

     
    At 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I like to listen to disco or heavy metal (depending on my mood that day) while I clean my apartment.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home