• Felotalk: The Worst of Oscar

    Monday, March 06, 2006

    The Worst of Oscar

    Last night's Oscar telecast was pretty boring and disappointing for me. I mean, I loved Jon Stewart as a host and I loved all the montages in the show. The bit about how queer cowboy movies are was brilliant! It was also a thrill to see the great Robert Altman get an award. That was long overdue. However, what I hated about the Oscars last night was how predictable it was.
    It is always wonderful to see an unexpected, welcomed surprise here and there. I still remember when Marisa Tomei shocked everyone by winning Best Supporting Actress for 1992's MY COUSIN VINNY, or just a few years ago when Adrien Brody won the Best Actor prize for THE PIANIST. I was expecting to see Clooney, Weisz, Hoffman, and Witherspoon go up to the podium to receive the awards given to them in their respective categories. And we did. I was expecting to see Ang Lee get the Best Director prize he so much deserved for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. And we did. The one shocking, outrageous and totally disappointing surprise that came at the very end of the show in the category for Best Picture was the most unexpected!
    CRASH besting out BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN has to be the most stupid upset at the Oscars in recent history. All of the films nominated for that award were more deserving than CRASH. I did not hate CRASH when it first came out but I do find it to be a horribly overrated picture. The reason why CRASH has been so popular with the motion picture academy is because it makes them feel as if their community is being progressive for touching on the subject of racism, class and culture. What the academy failed to see is how extremely formulaic and predictable CRASH is. In the end all the "bad white people" in the film are redeemed. But one of the black hoodlums dies. A Persian man nearly kills a Latino man out of revenge. And a Korean woman is outted as being a slave trader.
    BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, on the other hand, was an epic film! A sweeping love story about star-crossed lovers, beautifully written and directed. It would've been a groundbraking feat to see the film win the Oscar as it dealt with a love between two men. But never mind the gay cowboy theme. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN was the better movie of the two. And the best movie nominated for the top prize. I hate the idea of Hollywood patting itself on the back for picking CRASH as the winner because it deals with racism. Hollywood did not break any ground last night! They went for the safest, tamest choice. All of the other nominees: CAPOTE, GOOD NIGHT GOOD LUCK, MUNICH, and BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN would've been far better choices.
    CRASH winning last night was not the kind of upset or surprise I was looking for from the Oscars. Too bad!

    9 Comments:

    At 9:21 AM , Blogger Kathy said...

    Dang, Rafi! I've never read you going off like that. Way to keep it real.

     
    At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rafi: Well done. I agree 200% with your comments. Crash was stooopid.

     
    At 11:35 AM , Blogger Chico Maivia said...

    Never saw Crash. Way to give away the ending.

    I was a little surprised myself with how things turned out in that category, though I didn't pay attention to--or particularly care about--the rest.

     
    At 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Oscars were a bummer. I would've liked to see surprises in all the acting categories. "Crash" shouldn't even have been nominated to begin with. But everyone knows the Academy doesn't always get it right.

     
    At 5:20 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    I was only shocked because supposedly when someone wins Best Director, the film he Best Directed gets Best Picture. But as I never go to the movies, I have no clue which film is better. And as Nick said, way to spoil the ending! Now don't tell me- the 2 gay cowboys DON'T end up together.

     
    At 8:32 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I don't know much about the overhyped Oscars I admit. However, isn't the case sometimes that when a movie wins best director it's like a consolation prize and therefore another film gets chosen? Because if that's the case and I had actually seen the telecast, if BM won best director then I would have been sure it wasn't going to take the top prize.

     
    At 8:34 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    BTW I may add that I never thought the Acadamy progressive enough to award a movie with a gay themed love story. At least not as best picture. I could have told you that one! (not that I agree with it)

     
    At 11:32 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Well, "Titanic" was one big love story with a disater backdrop, but that's the last one I remember

     
    At 8:58 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    This blog should be called SPOILERS GALORE.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home