• Felotalk: Winter Games

    Wednesday, February 15, 2006

    Winter Games

    Not a whole lot has been going on around me these last few weeks. I hate it when folks ask me what's new. I often feel as if I have to share or boast about something exciting or some new ambitious project. For me, sometimes, nothing new means everything is going fine and dandy in my life. My routines are going well and keeping me happy.
    I had a rather busy weekend recently. Cleaning house. Reading. Barbecues here and there (Thanks Serene). Dinners with friends (Oscar/Jerry & Glenfeliz peeps). Shopping (Serene, Robert B). A friend's birthday (Steve M). And I've been trying to watch the Olympics on t.v. almost every night.
    I've always loved watching the Olympics on television. My earliest memories are of the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles, I had started my first year of high school and I was at Belmont, which was and I believe still is a year-round school. I recall coming home from school and being excited at catching in the competitions. Now even though most of the sports played in the Winter Games are not everyday things most Southern Californians would participate in, they are still fun to watch. I especially love watching the downhill skiing, speedskating and ice skating competitions. I like the idea of athletes gathering from around the globe. And there's something great about seeing the gold medal winners parading with their countries' flags. It's a more deserving demostration of national pride. Not as offensive as when people do this during war or invasions.

    6 Comments:

    At 9:50 AM , Blogger Chico Maivia said...

    I haven't watched even a lick of the Olympics. Just don't really have time to give a crap.

    It does kind of get annoying when people expect some kind of song-and-dance routine when they ask what you've been up to sometimes. Not as much with me, since I'm not above shrugging, and going on with my business. Usually they get the picture, and realise there's not much to report on this end. Or I just say "Meh--not much, just chillaxen."

     
    At 6:07 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    You shouldn't feel like you have to have some elaborate interesting answer. People who know you know that you do fun and interesting things but you also have to have mundane times because that's life!

     
    At 2:47 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I've been aware of lots of press coverage of the ice princesses this year. Even Canadian TV, which I checked out recently, was all over presenting its male figure skaters as super queeny. Is this spill over from Broke Back's popularity? Like the Olympic need a gay hook? Just wondering.

     
    At 4:49 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    The ice pricesses (Men's figure skaters) performed last night. The very flamboyant, indiffernt and entertaining Johnny Weir didn't perform as well as he was expected to. The actual winner of the gold, a Russian, whose name I will not attempt to spell, was impressive technically but artistically, he was so bland. The female figures skaters start next week. I can't wait!!!

    p.s. I hope I didn't come off as too whiny as I wrote about not having much to write about, or going on in my life lately... I mean I have been doing a lot, socially, but not much productively or creatively. I guess I did not want to sound as if I was just simply listing my latest exploits.

     
    At 5:00 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I didn't think of you as whiny. You just wanted to preface everything with a message of "don't expect so much from me, people!" Just kidding. It's February. You should be making soups and knitting.

    Anyway, the Canadian guys I saw featured acted like they were on a reality show. Both discussed their psycho-therapy (sports psychologists they see daily). One kept crying. The other as super flip and did self-destructive things like karaoke nights out while training to qualify.

    It was more than I could take and so much more over the top than the USA gym twins I watched a few years ago practicing in their barn.

     
    At 9:23 AM , Blogger Chico Maivia said...

    Well stated.
    I still don't have crap going on though. Unless you count my vendeta against President's Day.
    (see blog.)

    **SHAMELESS PLUG!!**

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home