• Felotalk: The Party Girl in All of Us

    Tuesday, January 17, 2006

    The Party Girl in All of Us

    I hope everyone was able to have an enjoyable 3-day weekend (thank you MLK). Even though I just returned to work last week after the long winter break, I was happy to have an extra day off to decompress and relax before truly getting back in the swing of things at work and with other projects... Watch out 2006!

    This weekend's activities included: celebrating Jack's birthday on Friday with friends from work by "Happy Hour" hopping; going to the flower mart with Joanne and running into Kathy, Serene and Anna at The Brite Spot; and getting together with Wendy for cocktails on Sunday night. However, I must say that the highlight of the weekend for me was having my friends Oscar and Jerry over for a game of Scrabble and Gin Rummy and ending up watching one of my favorite movies ever, "Party Girl," on DVD.

    I own "Party Girl" on DVD and VHS and along with "Grease" I think I have watched this film at least 3 dozen times. Daisy Von Scherler Mayer's "Party Girl" came out in 1995 and stablished its star, Parker Posey, as the "It Girl" and poster child of indie film at the time. The film follows Mary, a downtown Manhattanite torn by her life as a fashion obsessed nightclubber and her budding career as a library clerk. By the end of the film Mary becomes a responsible adult without having to compromise her true self. I guess this film spoke to me at the time and still speaks to me.
    Old friends can attest to the many times I watched this film with them. Sometimes, we'd put it on as we sipped Gin or Vodka Tonics and got ready to go out and party, just like Mary.
    It was hilarious to see how familiar Oscar and Jerry were with the film as well. They knew the perfect time when their favorite lines were about to come. "I"m tired of your reverse snobbery..."
    "They watch movies, they watch television, they watch movies ON the television..." This film is a classic for certain members of our generation, I guess. And I can't wait to see it again!

    9 Comments:

    At 4:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    O-kaaaay........................................who was that?!?!
    I love "Party Girl"too . I have it listed as one of my favorite movies on Friendster and if you hit it you will find thousands who list it as well.

     
    At 8:23 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    Rafi, what's your response to h17? wwmd? What Would Mary Do? H17, how come you don't rsvp for my party? bring Wendy.

     
    At 10:19 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Mary already handled the situation with Hostile Ariel. Mary asked him to talk to her directly if H-17/Ariel has anyting on his mind or needs to vent. Mary feels that such matters should be dealt with directly instead of on a public forum on the world wide web...

     
    At 12:47 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    h-17, yes s'il vous plait, as someone else is hosting it, and he needs to prepare.

     
    At 2:42 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    "Party Girl" is one of my favorite movies as well. Remember the awful FOX tv show based on the movie? Mary was nothing like Parker Posie- they used the chick who played Marcia Brady in the Brady Bunch movies. So she went from playing a tv character for the movies to a tv character based on a movie character. And then she hooked up with Zoolander.

     
    At 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Felo- "Party Girl" is an amazing monument to the zeitgeist of the mid-90s youth culture. It's so damn good. And Parker Posey, who is one of goddesses acting, is fabulous. I would sell several of my best friends to the circus to realize my dream of casting her in a remake of 'Myra Breckinridge' (in the lead role, of course). If you look up the definition of 'fierce' in the dictionary, there's a picture of Ms. Posey.

     
    At 4:17 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Parker Posey is indeed fierce and she would make a fantastic Myra Breckinridge!

     
    At 10:09 AM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I cannot believe I never played this film for you Walter! I was partying plenty as well. This was what we'd watch as we prepared for the rest of the night...

     
    At 5:12 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

    ooooooooooh, I love Party Girl.....it is one of my favorite movies. I don't own it, as you do, but every time it comes on on cable, I watch it!

    It is such a great story. I think I watched it because you recommended it.

    Thanks again.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home