• Felotalk: City Boy in the Water

    Friday, July 14, 2006

    City Boy in the Water

    I have been going to the beach quite regularly. I went twice this week. And at least four times since starting my summer break three weeks ago. A couple of days ago, I went kayaking in Naples Beach, down in Long Beach with my friend Joanne Palmieri. This was so much fun and really good upper body exercise. I have tried row boating and canoeing before, but because of the lack of practice I found it quite difficult. I also lack the coordination required in handling two oars or paddles. But kayaking for me is easier.

    Joanne grew up in a rural area in certral New Jersey surrounded by lakes (yes, there are rural areas in Jersey!) . The girl can water ski, sail, snorkel, do anything aquatic. She is quite the sporty girl, actually. We were talking about our experiences growing up and agreed that depending on where and how you were reared, there will always be certain things you will be exposed to and learn at an early age that others will not. I shared with her that I have always lived in a big city. I have other friends who were raised in urban environments and a handful of them for some reason or another never learned how to swim or ride a bike as children. In the case of my sisters and I, we have always been near the ocean, in Ecuador and in California. Growing up in L.A. we lived in one of those cheesy '70s apartment buildings you see all over Los Angeles. The place had a pool, and every summer we would enjoy swimming in it. In addition, our father had a swimming pool in his suburban house, which really became more of the attraction than our visits with him. At a very young age, my sisters and I were expert swimmers.

    I, however, never had the experience or row boating or kayaking as a child. As a kid growing up in an urban setting, I learned how to skateboard, roller skate, ride a bike, jay walk, but never tried boating or kayaking until I was an adult! My outing with Joanne last Wednesday was only my third time in my life trying kayaking, and my first time in two years. I am always a mess in the beginning. Rowing or paddling doesn't come naturally to me, at first. Joanne, who brought along her dog Nacho (who was wearing a cute little doggy life vest), was in one kayak, I was in another. She was sweet and patient and from her kayak instructing me how to paddle. I quickly got the hang of it, but messed up a few times when other boats or kayaks would come near me. Other boaters and poeple in kayaks were generally friendly, however. It was also a comfort to see that I was not the only novice around. After a good fifteen minutes I was fine. Joanne no longer felt the need to stay near me. I had so much fun. The kayak rentals were for an hour and after finishing, I totally wanted to do it again. I will have to wait another week though because my arms and shoulders are still sore.

    2 Comments:

    At 7:38 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    I went on a church retreat once where we all rented canoes. It was a disaster! I was "seasick" because I didn't get to have caffeine that day and was feeling horrible, we almost capsised, and we didn't get home until very late that night. A lot of people were lost out there in the Colorado River. We eventually had to tie our canoes together just to get back to the campground! So I'm sticking to paddling in Echo Park "Lake" once every ten years.

     
    At 12:08 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    I have never kayaked even though I come from a fairly rural place. However, we did lots of boating and fishing. Swimming too. Once, a dear from the nearby foothills drown in our pool.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home