• Felotalk: I love Futbol!!!

    Monday, July 10, 2006

    I love Futbol!!!

    Now that the FIFA World Cup is over I can now officially begin my summer reading. I am very happy that Italy won, but would have liked to see Portugal in the final two instead of France.
    I was channel surfing last night and I caught this stupid segment on NBC's "Dateline" totally dissing Football or futbol, (what Americans call soccer). The guy was calling it the "Almost World Cup," and was suggesting that it wasn't truly a world event only because it isn't big in the U.S.A. His arguments were so idiotic, and truly reeking of "ugly Americanism." And of course, his main complaint was that he (and most Americans according to him) doesn't get into soccer because of the low scoring. He couldn't believe anyone getting truly excited about a game which ends in a tie or at 1-0. I suppose he is used to a game like American football where a touchdown can be worth 7 points, or basketball where the scores after the end of a game often reach the tripple digits. What I love about soccer is that if you have two great teams it is really difficult to score. I love that the players are not allowed to use their hands. I love the fancy footwork involved in running and kicking a ball at the same time. I love the excitement of the fans and the t.v. commetators. I do not know of any other sport that is played with that much passion and bravado. I love futbol!
    And yes, there are no hotter athletes out there than soccer players...

    6 Comments:

    At 9:11 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    One of the most exciting football games I ever watched was a low scoring affair. It was a 6-3 game in which SF beat the New York Giants during the regular season in a much anticipated defensive battle. There were no touchdowns in the game which may have turned off some fans, but people who truly love the game can appreciate a defensive affair.
    I do think that the penalty kicks are a little anti-climatic. They should bring back "the golden goal" rule.

     
    At 9:18 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Ommigod! You are always online!

     
    At 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great! I can now call you in the morning and not feel like I'm interrupting something.
    I was rooting for Italy all the way. Go Azzurris!

     
    At 9:29 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Not really, it just seems that way ;-)

     
    At 8:42 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    You're right about the hotties! However, the tv shots are so broad (showing much of the field), that it's hard to tell when you're watching them play. :(

     
    At 12:33 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    Sadly, I don't think I watched one entire game...

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home