• Felotalk: Uncle Rafi

    Thursday, August 03, 2006

    Uncle Rafi

    Today I babysat for my mother and my sister Karina for a couple of hours. My mother, who looks after my almost-9-month-old nephew most weekdays, had to run a few errands this morning. So I went over to her house to look after Karina's son Frankie. He is growing so fast and is trying to talk and is crawling already. He's got the "mama," tata," and "dada' sounds down at his young age. And he loves to laugh, loves to be tickled. My little niece, Victoria, who will be three in November, loves her young cousin. She understands that she is no longer the youngest one in our family. Since she still is in her "terrible twos," there are times when she does not like to share with Frankie. When Frankie is in his walker, she will ask us to remove him from it and she will climb in it herself. She loves to baby him, like she babies her dolls and stuffed animals, but she is also quick to scold him. If Frankie starts grabbing at her hair or reaching for one of her toys, Victoria's immediate retort is, "No, Nano (her name for him) no!" or "No touch, it's mine!" It's kind of a cute behavior to witness actually.
    I forgot to mention it, but Frankie was christened/baptized last month, and Karina and Frank asked me to be little Frankie's godfather. It was such an honor for me.
    I love that both my sisters have becomed parents in the last 3 years. It is so incredible! My mother couldn't be any happier to finally be a grandmother. She had been pressuring my sisters, and even gay moi, into having children. She was seeing friends around her age becoming grandparents, and was beginning to feel left out. Since she is Latin American and an old-fashioned Catholic, she was afraid that both Monica and Karina, who were 28 and 33 respectively when they gave birth, were being seeing as old maids. As for me, my mother still thinks I may have a child someday. I tell her that my cats are her grandchildren, and she frowns. She has even suggested that I have a child with one fo my many female friends. Just have a baby, no marriage, no commitment. Like in the movies, she said!. As old-fashioned as she is, she shocks me sometimes with how modern she is as well!
    At the time, babies are not for me. I love my friends' babies...they are popping up all over the place. And I adore my niece and nephew. But I see what hard work they are to keep and feed and nurture and protect and tend to... I am a parent vicariously through my sisters, and friends. At the time, I am quite content with my role of uncle.

    5 Comments:

    At 9:42 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    I love my nephews as well, and I have not yet given up on my covert plan to take them to a star trek convention when my brother isn't around one day. They will learn to appreciate Captain Picard's leadership and to hate Cardassians as much as I did.

     
    At 8:13 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    What lucky babies to have an Uncle Rafi.

     
    At 9:08 AM , Blogger Joanna said...

    Rafi! I have been such a horrid friend. You have my permission to shoot me, then hire Art to defend you. Anyhow, I am going to be off next week on vacation. Do you want to get together one day during the week and do something? We can go to the beach and hang out and maybe have lunch? What do you say? I will call you to make plans. Love reading your blog. I love the way you express yourself.

     
    At 8:47 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    You're on vacation from work right? Shouldn't your blog be off its re-runs then??

     
    At 12:10 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    I have other things going on in my busy life... Not even for MySpace, I detest being in front of a computer for longer than an hour...
    Don't respond to this, please, Ariel.
    I'll call you tonight to discuss the other thing...

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home