• Felotalk: Rocio's Sweet Music

    Thursday, July 20, 2006

    Rocio's Sweet Music

    In case anyone was interested, this is what I have been listening to so far this summer...

    Nelly Furtado, Peaches, Kelis, Calle 13, Julieta Venegas, Miranda!, and THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, soundtrack/original cast recording.

    I also recently bought a Rocio Durcal C.D., her greatest hits collection. Durcal was a Spaniard who made her career in Mexico, recording melancholic Mexican pop songs and ranchera-style music. She collaborated a lot in the 1980s with Juan Gabriel. She died of cancer complications recently in Madrid on March 25th of this year. The reason I remember the exact date is because she died the day after my grandfather passed away. Her death was a great deal and major loss around the Spanish-speaking world. She was much loved. During my visit to Ecuador in the spring, that was I all they seemed to be playing on the radio. My fondest memory of listening to Durcal was on the day my mother and I drove to the coast, La Ruta del Sol, with our cousin Ivonne. She brought along a two-disc greatest hit c.d. for us to listen to in the car. We listened to it twice. And my mom and Ivonne sang along to many of the songs. This drive to the coast was such a wonderful respite from all the things my mom and I had to take care of during our sudden visit to Ecuador. And Rocio Durcal's voice and songs served as a perfect, sweet soundtrack.

    3 Comments:

    At 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My Cuban mother loves Rocio Durcal. And I love the new Peaches record!

     
    At 11:05 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    But have you picked up the new "Judas Priest" greatest hits album yet is what I'm wondering. Don't tell me you're not down with Mr. Priest

     
    At 5:15 PM , Blogger RV3 said...

    Ariel, You are SO not Latin!!!

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home