• Felotalk: On The Eve Before My Return Home

    Saturday, April 01, 2006

    On The Eve Before My Return Home

    Guayaquil, Ecuador

    1. I love the iguanas I see everywhere. Parks and waterfronts everywhere have them. Iguanas to people in Guayaquil are as common as squirrels are to most North Americans.

    2. I love how the city of Guayaquil is surrounded by water. There are rivers, estuaries and little swampy areas. The area that is Guayaquil today, as far as I understand it, used to be a swampland. They call them manglares here. It is quite lovely, actually. When you drive or walk by them, the smell or scent is like no other. It is not completely pleasant, but it is intoxicating. Jaime Nebot, the current mayor of Guayaquil, who is in the middle of his second term, has been doing a lot to make Guayaquil more lovely, to fix it up. There's been many renovations here. And the mayor is aware that there is something enchanting about the all the water that surrounds this city. Among other things, in his quest to revitilize this city, he's created many riverwalks, parks, and malecones alongside most rivers and estuaries.

    3. I am glad that I found time to take a road trip to the coast. The nearest beaches are an hour away. On Thursday, my mother, my cousin Ivonne and I took a daylong road trip along the coast. It was a fun drive. I got to see some small beach towns I hadn't seen before. I also ate the best octopus dish I've ever had in my life in this little town called Manglaralto.

    4. There's great Chinese food in Ecuador, folks! Chinese restaurants here are called chifas. Wednesday night, I spent the night at Ivonne's house to hang out and play Rummy-O, Gin Rummy and French Poker with her sons Frane, Nikola and Ivan. We had chifa delived to us, and it was delicious.

    5. My mother is doing well. We had a little rosary reading, prayer with some of the more Catholic members of our family. It was quite comforting and serene for my mother, as well as for me.

    6. I was called Don Rafael by my godmother's maid. It was quite funny to me. I felt old, actually!

    7. I bought a couple of great Ecuador hardcover picture books, which I cannot wait to feature on my coffee table at home.

    8. My relatives think I'm a hippy because I am not more conservative with my appearance or my ideas.

    9. Mosquitos love my ankles...

    10. I love Guayaquil, and I love Ecuador, but I am happy to be returning home (God willing) tomorrow night.

    4 Comments:

    At 6:40 PM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    Re: my post and your message, yea i was a bit down that day, meant every word, but then I got busy.
    Last weekend I actually drove to L.A. and back for a journalism convention. though the day before I got a ride from my friend. I won an award, (don't laugh.) I am busy writing for the Weekly News, trying to get my degree by May (graduation) and generally hanging out with people from school. Sorry about your grandpa.

     
    At 7:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I liked reading your posts from South America.
    :-)
    Glad to read that you are back home safe, though we are in different coasts.
    :-(
    Post some photos of your trip when you get a chance.

     
    At 7:19 PM , Blogger Spleengrrl said...

    I'm glad we finally talked instead of just listening to each other's long messages.

    I didn't even know you'd written all this from Ecuador as I have not been online in forever. They were really good entries! Too bad I read them all so late.

    I thought about you a lot though. My mom did too.

     
    At 11:18 AM , Blogger waldocarmona said...

    what do you think of my new blog???

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home