• Felotalk: Postcards From the Equator

    Tuesday, March 28, 2006

    Postcards From the Equator

    Guayaquil, Ecuador

    Wow! This is my first blog entry coming from another country. I am writing this a couple of days after having arrived in Ecuador with my mother for my grandfather's funeral services. He had been ill for a long time and was 92 years old. His two only children, three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren all live in Southern California. My mother and I were the only ones who were able to come to Guayaquil from California for the services. There were plenty of other relatives present however. I saw many cousins, great aunts and uncles whom I had not seen in three or six years. They were all present. There were even some relatives present whom I had not had the opportunity to see in the two most recent trips that I had made to Guayaquil in the last six years. Meaning, the last time they had seen me, I was a little boy everyone called Felito or Felo. I lived in this humid, coastal city which is surrounded by rivers and estuaries from the day I was born, sometime in 1970, until April of 1980. I used to live in this humidity. Everytime I return, I am shocked at how humid and hot it always is here. And from what I understand, March is the hottest month of the year in Guayaquil.
    The streets are fascinating here. There is traffic everywhere. Most streets may appear to have two or three lanes, but most drivers don't honor this. Drivers use their horns at almost every corner. It is very third world in that respect. Though you couldn't use this term with a more well-to-do native, like most of my relatives. If you have money here, you have all the luxuries of someone in the first world.
    All of the funeral services for my late grandfather have been taken care of. He was creameted yesterday. I believe we will be scattering his ashes in the Rio Guayas soon. The family decided this a short while ago. When may grandfather was alive, and after my grandmother died (in 1981), he had the opportunity to join his family in California. He refused to leave his homeland. So now it wouldn't make any sense to bring his ashes with us to North America. Besides, you practically need a separate plane ticket to transport someone's ashes from one country to another. I didn't know this. I thought you could just put him in your luggage and that was it. It is all very strange...
    I will try to write again. I am visitng other cousins today. I think I am going to the seaside (1 hour drive from the city) tomorrow. I return to California on Sunday.

    5 Comments:

    At 9:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Rafi!


    Good to read your blogg and know you are doing okay. It was great to hear more about where you are from. Have a safe trip home.

    Love,
    April

     
    At 1:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rafi -

    Sorry to hear about your grandpa, but glad to hear you have the chance to see long lost family members.

    gotta catch up with you in La -

    Robin

     
    At 2:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cool Felo!

    Hope your mother's holding up ok through it all.

    Bring back a souvenier-- something free but distinctly Ecuadorian.

    Love you!
    Kindred

     
    At 2:59 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

    Rafi:

    My deepest sympathy to you and your family. You and I were talking about your grandpa during our last dinner, remember? Anyhow, I am glad that you had a chance to go and say good bye to him and that you will be scattering his ashes in the Rio Guayas. I did not know your grandfather, but it sounds to me like he will be happy you and your family will be doing this for him. He must have been a great man, because he sure helped raised a great grandson.

    Dale el pesame de parte mia a tu mami, por favor.

    Con mucho amor,

    Joanna =)

     
    At 7:47 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

    Me too. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Please give love to your family.

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home